Thyroid – A lot of us believe that we’re tired or just old. Have you considered that there might be something medically unsound? The most difficult part of this process is that symptoms may be similar to a medical condition, so if you have any concerns consider consulting your physician to determine if you’re suffering from an inactive thyroid. In this post, we’ll look at some of the most common signs of underactive thyroid issues.
A thyroid that is underactive is known as hypothyroidism. This is when the thyroid gland no longer creates enough thyroid hormones that aid in controlling your metabolism. Hypothyroidism can be easily detected by a simple blood test, and it is very easily treated. When you read the article you could be aware that certain symptoms might already be present. Be aware that some symptoms could be signs of other medical conditions. If you are concerned, consult your doctor.
A very commonly reported symptom of having a hypothyroid is weight growth. It is a well-known fact that it is a regular issue for a lot of us, particularly when we age and begin to slow down. Be aware that this isn’t the only reason to think that you are suffering from hypothyroidism. All people get older and they reduce their activity levels but without changing their diet, which can result in weight growth.
- Another sign is muscle and joint discomfort, including carpal tunnel syndrome, which affects hands and arms or tarsal tunnel that can develop on the lower limbs. This is a different indication that may be connected to other conditions. This does not mean that the pains and aches are not a sign of thyroid problems, but rather to let you know that they might be.
- Constipation severe or long-term has been proven to be related to hypothyroidism.
- A crucial aspect to be considered is your family’s background. For older people issues with thyroid could be referred to as a different term like “goiter” or “gland trouble” however this is something to consider when determining whether you are suffering from an under-active thyroid. For more information go here
- Another indication of an underactive thyroid can be an irritation in the neck region. If your throat and neck region feel swelling It is likely it is because the thyroid located there is affected by inflammation. Your doctor can assist in determining the cause of your symptoms.
- The appearance of your hair and skin may change as seasons change. Changes can also happen because of hormonal or stress-related issues like aging.
- A different sign that is very prevalent is depression. With so much happening in our daily lives, it’s easy to get stressed and then fall into depression. Studies have shown that antidepressants don’t help when depression is the cause of hypothyroidism.