DIM supplement.- One of the most popular supplements on the market today is the dim supplement. This dietary supplement, which you can purchase at your local health food store or pharmacy, has been gaining high popularity as a potential treatment for various hormone-related conditions. Still, you may wonder whether these uses back by scientific evidence.
In this article, we will clear all your queries about what dim is and how it can help with symptoms like acne, menopause symptoms, prostate issues, and certain forms of cancer!
Introduction to DIM
DIM supplement. stands for diindolylmethane, a natural compound present in cruciferous vegetables such as kale, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, etc. This compound derives from a natural plant component named glucobrassicin which breaks into indole-3-carbinol (I3C) when you cut or chew these vegetables. When I3C gets digested in the human stomach, it turns into DIM.
This compound is beneficial in detoxifying the liver and controlling the estrogen metabolism, which controls the hormonal imbalance. It also shows anti-cancer effects in the human body.
What is a DIM Supplement?
A DIM Supplement use to help with symptoms like acne, menopause symptoms, prostate issues, and certain forms of cancer! So, people who want to reap the benefits of DIM don’t solely depend on cruciferous vegetables as they get a higher concentration through these supplements.
Benefits of DIM Supplements
Some people may not be aware of the benefits that DIM supplements can provide. A lot of what we know about this supplement stems from research in animals or lab studies on humans. That means conclusive proof is yet to come out, but its potential as an anti-aging agent is amazing! Here are some additional benefits that DIM supplements offer.
- Balances Estrogen Levels – Estrogen dominance, i.e., too much estrogen, can cause PMS, fibroids, mood swings, depression, endometriosis, or anxiety. In men, it can cause infertility or enlarged breasts. DIM aids in balancing estrogen levels by increasing the good estrogens and reducing or eliminating bad ones. That is why people use this supplement as an estrogen blocker, but it doesn’t mean that the production of estrogen stop.
It just blocks the aromatase enzyme that transforms testosterone into estrogen. On the other hand, lower estrogen levels can lead to menopause. Thus, DIM supplements don’t increase or decrease the estrogen levels, they just help the body to metabolize properly.
- Helps With Weight Loss – DIM regulates the metabolism of fat and glucose by affecting insulin levels. Its balancing effect on estrogen helps reduce unwanted weight. Additionally, DIM and its precursor, namely indole-3-carbinol (I3C), may also suppress adipogenesis which is the process that produces new fat cells.
- Decreases Risk for Cancer – Scientists have found that a high intake of cruciferous vegetables may decrease your risk for developing prostate cancer, breast cancer, or colon cancers (and other forms).
- Improves Digestion – DIM is a potent anti-inflammatory agent that helps with digestion by calming stomach aches and symptoms associated with inflammatory bowel diseases.
- Reduces Breast Cancer Risk – Research suggests that women who take this supplement may be able to reduce their risk for breast cancer due to its ability to stop the growth and prevent tumor cells from forming on hormone receptors.
- Relieves Menopause Symptoms – Dim supplements can also minimize menopausal symptoms like hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, etc. This is because it helps balance out hormones during perimenopause or menopause stages, where hormonal fluctuations are most common.
- Boosts Immunity – DIM supplements are a rich source of antioxidants that help your immune system to fight against viruses, bacteria, inflammation, and more.
- Protects against prostate issues – DIM supplements can safeguard against prostate cancer and prostate enlargement. It may help combat prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (PIN), which is a condition caused by prostate cell growth. This condition consider as a precursor to prostate cancer. The studies conducted on animals suggest that DIM supplements help fight prostate cancer, but still a deeper human research is required.
- Reduces Acne – DIM is known to balance the estrogen and testosterone levels, thereby reducing your chances of acne, which are caused due to hormonal imbalance. The hormonal acne usually appears on cheeks, jawline, or chin and people often link them with the menstrual cycle. The reason behind this is quite apparent, as acne occurs mainly at the same time in a menstrual cycle.
Apart from testosterone, androgens also find to be the main culprits in causing zits. This usually happens during menopause as the estrogen level reduces and androgen hormones increases. Although people may find that DIM supplements can help them reduce their hormonal acne, there are no specific studies proving their relation.
Some of the Potential Side Effects and Precautions
Due to the low amount of research done in humans, little information is known about the long-term side effects of these DIM supplements. Current human research hasn’t shown any toxic or severe side effects, but some side effects can include an increase in bowel movements, urine darkening, headaches, and gas. Some of the less common side effects of this supplement include vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, allergies, and skin rash.
- Pregnant and Breastfeeding Women Should Avoid Taking DIM Supplement – If you’re pregnant or breastfeeding, it’s best not to take this supplement because there is a lack of research on how it affects these groups.
- Stop Taking This Supplement if You Experience Liver Problems – The liver plays an important role in detoxifying the body, so if you experience any signs of liver problems (such as pain or weakness) while taking DIM, stop immediately.
Besides, the DIM supplements work on balancing estrogen levels. So, they may be harmful to people fighting with hormone-sensitive cancers or those who are on hormone therapy. These people should avoid taking DIM supplements.
Lastly, no matter what disease you are going through, it is crucial for you to consult a healthcare professional before taking the DIM supplements.
DIM has shown promising results in the human body, but it can be challenging for today’s generation to get much DIM by specifically eating vegetables. That’s why these DIM supplements are getting a high demand in the market. But, most research on DIM is done on animals or in test tubes, and there’s little evidence of its benefits in humans. So, if you interested in trying a DIM supplement, make sure you consult a doctor. Besides, it is safe for most humans.